Home        Shop     10 Most Popular Products    FREE Library    Site Overview    Forums    About Us    Advertise

Free Forums for Video Producers and Serious Hobbyists.

Forum Guidelines
The Members Only Forum is visible only after you have joined.

BorrowLensesBanner300x250c

Skip to Content

Home : Video University Forums : Wedding & Event Videography :

Inventor of Color Bars writes to VU

Quote Reply
As a result of my article on color bars, I've had a very nice correspondence with the man who invented colors bars through his son. See the article at http://videouniversity.com/tvbarsinvent.shtml

Hal

Video Biography Business Kit
Produce High-End Biographies For Up To $15,000 Each
Quote Reply
Re: [hlanden] Inventor of Color Bars writes to VU In reply to
I think this is neat. Mr. Holmes is one of assuredly many to whom we owe a great big "Thank you!"
Color TV is super . . . unless you're watching The Andy Griffith Show. Wink Out went Barn and in came color. It was never the same. (Poor Warren.)
Quote Reply
VERY COOL, HAL. Now if someone could just figure out how to use the blasted thing!!!! Smile

Shane
Cahtia Pictures
http://www.cahtiapictures.com

Quote Reply
Great article, Hal. Now I know how to adjust my monitor without a blue switch!
Adam

VU Minnesota Campus
iMac 3.06 GHz
FCP 5.1.4
Quote Reply
Awesome! Yeah thanks Hal, that article is how I originally learned how to use bars. Much appreciated.

Glen Elliott
http://www.GmElliottVideo.com

"The only time i use slow-mo is when the groom dips the bride in front of a fountain" ~RAY E

Quote Reply
Re: [GmElliott] Inventor of Color Bars writes to VU In reply to
I just received an email from John D Holmes. I regret to report that his father, the Inventor of Color Bars,

David D. Holmes Dies

Former Stony Brook Resident

Inventor of Color Bars-Color Television Test Pattern

Chesterfield, N.J., David D Holmes [/url]died Wednesday at Robert-Wood- Johnson University Hospital after a short illness.
After graduating from M.I.T. in 1950 he joined R.C.A. and was one of the pioneers of color television development and transistor applications.
In 1953 he and N. David Larky were issued patent 2,747,525 for the Color Television Test Pattern Generator. This color test pattern, still in wide use today, can be seen on news room monitors throughout the world. This was the world’s first analog color graphic; a picture produced electronically with no light, no lens, no film and no photoelectric surface. There were five related patents generated pertaining to the 525. Through 1956 he had received four Outstanding Achievements in Research awards.

In 1957 he was named Director of Radio Research for R.C.A. and shortly thereafter Technical Director, Project Pangloss Command Communications for Polaris missile launching submarines including the Nautilus.

In 1960 he joined Hazeltine Corp. as Director of Radar Research over seeing Project Defender- Advanced Research Projects Agency- Antimissile Research Advisory Council. Here he devised multidimensional radar systems to acquire and track missile warheads through decoy clouds.

In 1970 he returned to R.C.A. as Coordinator, Independent Research and Development, Missile and Surface Radar Division
In 1973 he was named Manager, R.C.A. Consumer Electronics, Integrated Circuit Development, Solid State division, Somerville N.J
In 1976 he was named Director, Television Research at the David Sarnoff Research Center in Princeton N.J

. Mr. Holmes began his electrical engineering career after graduating with a B.S.E.E. degree from the University of Maine, Orono in 1946. And an M.S.E.E. from M.I.T. in 1950. From 1947- 1949 he was an electrical engineering instructor at the University of Nebraska where he designed one of the first complete television studios.
In 2004 he was nominated into The Inventors Hall Of Fame.
Among his many awards and patents, in 1987 he received The Distinguished Engineering and Science Award from the University of Maine.

Retiring in 1986, Mr. Holmes resided in Chesterfield, N.J.
He is survived by his wife, Nancy C. Holmes, two daughters, Susan Holmes Brouse and spouse Jeff, Lisa Holmes Murphy and spouse Fran, two sons, John D Holmes and Charles L. Holmes and spouse Jeri and six grandchildren
_____
John wrote that his father was overjoyed at the article about him:
http://videouniversity.com/tvbarsinvent.shtml

We are all indebted to David for his great contributions to video. Our sincere condolences to his family.

Hal

Video Biography Business Kit
Produce High-End Biographies For Up To $15,000 Each
Quote Reply
A very sad day for the world as we know it.

Mr Holmes's contribution to the modern world will be missed.

Our sincere condolences to his family
Cheers

Jeremy

SUCCESS comes before WORK only in the dictionary

Last edited by:

hlanden: Dec 27, 2010, 2:05 PM
Home : Video University Forums : Wedding & Event Videography :