I’ve written about the VLC Media Player before. See A Better Replacement for Windows Media Player and Apple Quick Time. I swear by it and I’m not alone. Many video producers consider it their primary video viewer.
On the surface it is a straightforward video player, but it has many other capabilities. Such as it’s ability to convert video files. And it does a pretty good job. It may not be as powerful as Handbrake, but chances are you already have VLC (or you should) and the price is right- free!
Here’s how to convert a video file with VLC:
1. Go to Media, then click “Convert / Save.”
2. Under File / File Selection, click “Add”
3. Find the file you want to convert
4. Then at the bottom of the page, click “Convert / Save.”
5. On the next page under Profile choose the file type you want to covert to.
6. Name the file and choose a Destination.
7. Click “Start.”