In most cases, changing a lens will not require adjusting the back focus of a lens. But when a lens does not hold focus at both ends of the zoom range, you may need to adjust the back focus. By adjusting the back focus, you are changing the distance of between the pick-up device and the rear element of the lens. Technically, it’s the distance from the vertex of the rearmost element of the lens to the focal plane, but we’ll keep it simple. Note that not all lenses have a back focus adjustment.
Before starting, put the camera on a tripod and adjust your camera’s viewfinder so it is in sharp focus. Ideally, you’d want a test pattern chart (looks like a dart board) to be at least 75 feet from the camera. Otherwise, as far as possible. If you don’t have a test chart, Use a page from a magazine.
- Set the iris to manual.
- Set the zoom to manual.
- Open the iris to 1.4 or its widest aperture. If the illumination on the test chart is too bright for the open iris, reduce the light or move the chart to a darker area.
- Turn the zoom barrel to extreme telephoto.
- Focus on the chart.
- Set the zoom to wide angle.
- Loosen the back focus ring retaining knob.
- Adjust the back focus ring for the sharpest focus.
- Repeat steps 4 through 8 until focus is consistently sharp.
- When it is, tighten the back focus ring retaining knob to secure the ring.
Note: Most lenses are at their sharpest focus at about a middle iris position like F5.6.
TIME Magazine’s latest cover was made by 958 Intel drones that were preprogrammed to create a sky animation of the TIME logo with red border. The Intel drones were also used to create a sky graphic during the Winter Olympics. For the TIME cover, the drones could not go above 400 feet. The drones were […]Read More
If you are transferring home movies (either film or video) as a commercial service, you should know about the non-profit Center For Home Movies . They sponsor Home Movie Day which will be on October 17, 2015. The site also will show you some possibilities you may not have considered. For instance numerous feature-length documentaries […]Read More
Hexacopter drone pilot charged with felony.Read More