- 1. Thou shalt not screw up thy client’s job.
- 2. Thou shalt not record in LP mode, lest ye receiveth thy glitch.
- 3. Thou shalt not mix tape brands, nor shalt thou allowest them to intermingle freely, lest ye recieveth thy glitch.
- 4. Honor thy Alimighty Vectorscope and thy Almighty Waveform Monitor, for in Darkness and in Light art thou guided by them.
- 5. Thou shalt not covet thy scene transition for the sake of vanity, but shalt thou cut with reason and purpose, and only then, keeping thy transitions modest.
- 6. Thou shalt have thy proper subject on screen at the proper time, thy speaker when he speaketh, thy reactor when he reacteth, thy glance and then thy object.
- 7. Thou shalt not cross axis.
- 8. Cast down thy recording tabs and breaketh them, and if thy tabs slideth, and not breaketh, then shalt thee slidith thy tabs into the “save” position, so that thine precious video might then be saved from eternal loss.
- 9. Loggeth thee thy master tapes, and with marked labels shalt thee cover them, for their nakedness is sinful.
- 10 Thou shalt not linger too long in black, lest thy viewer kick his TV set reproachfully, thinking it hath conked out again.
The Art of Film and Video Editing takes you beyond the hardware to the art of editing. This 9-part article is a course in the art and styles of editing. Includes videos. Don’t miss it.
David Pogue produces videos and writes articles about personal tech issues. His work appears in the NY Times, PBS “Nova,” Yahoo Tech, Scientific American and more. His new article “Digitize Those Memory-Filled Cassettes before They Disintegrate subtitled Bite the bullet and have them digitized—I wish I’d done it sooner. appears in the September 1, 2016 […]Read More
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera now has an Active Speed Booster for Canon EF lenses. This opens up a vast array of great lenses.Read More
More Than A Camera This company, which makes the camera we videographers love, just made the largest initial public offering of a consumer electronics company in more than 20 years! On the first day of trading the new stock (GPRO) jumped up more than 30%. The only other consumer electronic company to go public was […]Read More
Whether you use Safari, Microsoft Edge, Chrome or the old Netscape, there’s a great new browser that I think beats them all – the new Firefox Quantum. It’s surprising how good it is. You can easily send a web page to you phone. Just click “Send tab to device” and the article you are reading […]Read More